Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day three snack

Fresh cabbage snack
I took a nap this afternoon. I never take naps.

I woke up ready for a snack. I shredded 1/4 of my half cabbage (so that's 1/8 of a head of cabbage, about 1 cup chopped). I wanted to toss the cabbage with some seasoned rice vinegar, but did the calculation and found that 1 Tbs would cost me $0.15. I don't think so! I could get a carrot or another portion of cabbage for less.

Instead, I mixed up a $0.03 dressing of 1Tbs white vinegar, a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp of sugar. Boom! My very own seasoned "rice" vinegar. Oh man did it feel good to eat something fresh and crunchy. Even though I ate a raw carrot yesterday, I feel like I haven't eaten fresh food for a week.

My snack cost a total of $0.14, and it was bright and satisfying. At first anyway.

A few bites in and that cabbage started to feel pretty hard on my stomach. I thought about eating something else, but I'd still have to eat the cabbage later, or go without. I stared at the cabbage. I waited. I ate a few more bites. My stomach hurt more. I walked away and washed dishes. My stomach settled. I came back. I stared at the cabbage again. I ate some more. Two bites in and my stomach was upset. I did this three more times over the next few hours.

Cooked down with some onions, much better
Finally, I cooked the cabbage with 1/4 of a 1/4 of my onion (about 1 Tbs) and 1 Tbs of oil. That was the solution. My stomach was able to handle the cabbage and I finished off my snack around 5:30pm. The Tbs of onion cost $0.03, the oil $0.05. Bringing my snack to a grand total of $0.22. Add that to my peas earlier and I've spent $0.60. $0.90 left for the day.

Hoping to reach my fundraising goal of $1,000 soon. Will you help me get there? https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/claire


-Selfish Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that contain threats or calls for violence will be removed.