Saturday, April 27, 2013

End of day two below the line

A filling dinner, this is bowl 1 of 2

I made it to the end of the day with $1.02 left to spend. So I made myself a nice big dinner. I fried up 1/4 of my onion in 2 Tbs of oil, added 4 oz. of tofu, 1/4 of my half-head of cabbage, 1 cup of my delicious cooked peas, and a cup of water to make a hearty soup. It was very tasty, and wow did it hit the spot . The salt from the peas was enough to season the whole dish, so I didn't have to add any additional salt. I ate half my soup around 5:30pm and the second half around 8:00pm. It reminded me of colcannon. I definitely had enough to eat. I think it's safe to say that I was full.

Here's the break down of costs:

1 portion cooked peas = $0.38 (see Day two: Moving day)
4 oz. tofu = $0.25
1 portion cabbage (about 1 cup) = $0.11
1/4 onion = $0.13
2 Tbs oil = $0.10

For a total cost of $0.97

Without question, day two went much better than day one. My tricks were to skip breakfast and spread out my eating. I'll use these tricks again tomorrow.

I do miss tea. And sweets. I ended the day with $0.05 to spare and I thought I might be able to eat 1/4 of a cookie. But I did the math and the cookies in our pantry cost $0.33 each. 1/4 of a cookie would cost more than $0.08. I just couldn't afford it today. Maybe when I start eating lentils instead of peas ($0.06 cheaper per cup) I'll have enough left over for a bite of a cookie? Here's hoping.

If you'd like to help poor people get their hands on 1/4 of a cookie, give to CARE and support my journey: https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/claire


-Selfish Blogger

P.S. For those of you concerned for my kitty cat, you'll be pleased to know that she LOVES the new place. She's done lots of exploring, has found an opportunity to sit in every window (her favorite activity), and chowed down on her food like no one's business. She's snuggled up on the couch with us watching TV now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that contain threats or calls for violence will be removed.